CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Photo Tag

Alright...so Cara tagged me in her blog and asked me to find the fourth picture in the fourth folder where my pictures are stored. I had no idea what it would be...but after I found it, I realized it couldn't have been better :)



This is a picture of my very first surfboard the day I picked it up! I was so excited and spent a lot of time just looking at it, taking off the old wax and putting on new wax, and throwing it in the back of my 4-runner, which I had always wanted to do! (It may have even influenced my decision to buy a 4-runner in the first place)

This is a great picture because it sort of represents my new life in San Diego. A little over a year and a half ago I moved to San Diego from Michigan, and only knew one person! My roommate, Desire, taught one of my classes a few years ago, and welcomed me to San Diego with open arms. She definitely was a savior for me because she showed me around and encouraged me to meet people and put myself out there. We had lots of fun in our tiny apartment with all our animals!

I began surfing with people I had met here, and absolutely loved it! It took a lot of courage to try and paddle out into the ocean, and there were a few times I was afraid I might drown!!! But I kept at it, and as my skills at surfing increased, so did my confidence! I surfed a lot with a friend of mine who was also from Michigan, and he lived across the hall from Matt and his roommate Joe. He introduced me to Matt...and the rest is history!!! Surfing taught me to work at what I wanted, and to chase after it even if I was afraid. It also taught me to better communicate my fears, and self-limiting beliefs. It truly helped me to seek out the life I wanted...and the friendships, relationship, and family that I wanted too!

I love to surf with anyone who likes to go out! It has definitely brought me closer to Matt, and my friends James, Stephanie, and Leslie! I couldn't think of anything I would love more than to spend a hot summer day out in the waves with the people who are closest to me! I feel free out there, and independent, and confident. I know I will surf as long as I possibly can, and that I will love every minute of it :)

After a challenging day of surfing with Matt and James, we all decided that my surfboard was a little too big for me because I had a hard time getting it out in bigger waves. So...I sold my beloved board to a friend of ours and now it is his turn to voyage out into the ocean with her. I have since stolen Matt's board, which I named Cali-lilly, and it have been in love with her ever since! I can paddle out with a lot less effort, and have been able to get up on most of the waves I tried to go for. The only problem now is that he is coming home soon and I may not be able to give her back to him very easily! ;)

I can't wait to spend this summer with Matt, and paddle out into the waves with him on all those perfect, blue and golden days!!! Hopefully my experiences this summer have prepared me for him to come back, and I will actually be better than him now ;) Stand by for an update...not long now!!!

Thanks for the tag Cara...I love this picture, and have loved explaining it's meaning to everyone!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Beautiful Post!

We always meant to learn how to surf, but alas never had enough time... we will learn one day! :)

I bet you're looking forward to your homecoming!!! I expect pictures!!

Stephanie said...

Just came by from Caras blog to say congrats to Matt!
I bet you are super excited!
Cant wait to see pics!!
Please tell him thank you for me...what a beautiful thing he has done and surrendered for our country! THANKS Matt!!